Let’s talk a bit about bitcoins so that you can ensure that you know what you’re getting into before you start trying to use or buy bitcoins for your transactions. Bitcoins can be quite confusing, so ensure that you truly understand everything before you move forward. Here are eight facts to consider.
- Bitcoin Is Programmable Money – To have programmable money, you need to have normal money. Normal money today is not backed by anything at all other than someone said it’s worth what it is. For example, a $100 US dollar bill is only worth that amount because someone assigned that amount to that paper. With bitcoin, the value is determined by the buyer and the payer, and the bitcoin is created when both agree terms have been met and the so-called miner verifies the transaction.
- Bitcoin Is Created Via Mining – Miners use software that finds keys that open wallets or padlocks. Basically, they are transactions that are happening between people, and the miner certifies the transaction.
- Bitcoin Has Real Value – Bitcoin isn’t fake money. It has real value. The value is determined by the users, both buyers and payers, not an outside entity. There is a protocol that has to be followed and is impossible to change.
- Bitcoin Lets You Pay Locally and Globally – You can pay in more places than you may think with bitcoin. You can even use bitcoin online at sites like Overstock.com. You may be surprised that some of your local stores are taking bitcoin. You only need to ask.
- No One Has Control Over Bitcoin – Bitcoin isn’t run by any person or government entity. There are rules, but the users are the only ones to enforce them. As of now, there are over 16 million bitcoins in circulation.
- Bitcoin, Unlike the Dollar, Is Limited – There are only 21 million bitcoins and no more will ever be created. The value can go up or down, but there will never be more. This is unlike the American dollar, which the government can choose to print more at any time.
- You Must File Taxes on Bitcoin – Technically, since bitcoin has value, you must claim the dollar value on your taxes in the USA. Nearly 1000 people have done so as of 2017 taxes.
- Don’t Lose Your Wallet – If you aren’t careful, you can lose all your bitcoins by not saving your hard drive. You’re the only one with proof of your transactions, so you must guard it carefully or you can lose it all.
Using bitcoins without losing your money can be a great way to invest and earn more money. But, before you get started it’s imperative that you learn everything you can. You can learn a lot by going to the Bitcoin.org website and reading everything you can about it. Also, find a mentor to help you navigate the new terms and money system.